Author Topic: Mountain Lion  (Read 1914 times)

Offline atchavez

• View Profile
Mountain Lion
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
We saw, what we believe to be, a Mountain Lion yesterday in our backyard in the afternoon around 5:00pm (broad daylight).  We live off Sunset Point and Dove Wing.  Our backyard backs up to the wash (where the Sunset Point bridge and trail is).  Did anyone else happen to see anything?

I called Arizona Game and Fish but they will only come out if they have a log of seeing an animal that could be dangerous to the public.  We have small children and dogs -- needless to say, they will not be outside by themselves....but I am worried for all of the other people (mainly children), I see riding their bikes in that area.

Please be aware....

Home Home Home Home Home

Offline cclee

• View Profile
Re: Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »
Was it a mountain lion or a bob cat?  Mountain lions are quite large.  Did it look like this?
http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_lion.shtml
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:57:57 PM by cclee »

Offline beachgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
Not completely surprised as we do live in fairly natural area.  I think this is pretty cool.

What neighborhood are you in? 
"Destiny is a matter of choice, not a matter of chance. It is a thing to be achieved, not a thing to be waited for."

Offline Peoria PD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
Im branching out of my Police Talk zone I know so hopefully no one will flog me :)

Its getting to the time of year where we are going to see alot of different critters.   I, alon gwith Officer Vaught caught one of the bobcats last year and recently we have had to track down a black bear that started in Westwing.   

Mountain lions have been known to venture down this way as well.   

With all that being said and knowing that at some point they may be seen in the area, educate your children on what the animals look like if they don't know already and how to respond if they see one.   And continue to call Game and Fish and if there is one that you can see call the Peoria Police Department.   We have ways of getting Game and Fish out there quicker if we can see it too.

Ofc Meeks

Offline serne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
What are kids supposed to do if they do become in contact with a bobcat or mountain lion?  Will they stay around here or will they move on?  Will the opening of the 303 make them move away? 

Home Home Home Home Home

Offline bobb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »
Consider yourself very lucky if you saw an actual mountain lion, and not a bobcat. I would go buy a lotto ticket the same day just in case it was your lucky day if you actually see one. Ive been out here over 6 years running/hiking/biking on an almost daily basis (even in the dead of summer) at morning, noon or dusk around all parts of this community on and off trails, and have seen just about every animal indigenous to this area but a mountain lion or a bear (probably because this isn't their ideal place to hang out in this area of the desert). I bet you I go another 10 years and probably never see one based on their elusive habits even if one does live in our area. Too many natural food resources around here and they are far too rare out this way to cause any concern in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:55:36 PM by bobb »

Offline surfrider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
Agree with Bobb. Buy a lotto ticket.

I hike & Rhino here and deep into the mountains north of lake, never seen one, and most likely never will. Members of Arizona's biggest hiking site have seen footprints, but that is it..

Very very rare.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:56:54 PM by surfrider »

Offline scout

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
What are kids supposed to do if they do become in contact with a bobcat or mountain lion?  Will they stay around here or will they move on?  Will the opening of the 303 make them move away? 

Here is a link from Arizona Game and Fish giving some good information on what to do if you encounter bobcats or mountain lions as well as information on how to NOT attract them to you backyard.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_lion.shtml

Offline serne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
Glad to hear that!

Home Home Home Home Home

Offline bobb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
One other point: If they do confirm we have a resident mountain lion, I wouldn't change any of my habits outdoors. You should have a greater fear of being attacked by one of our fellow maniac residents vehicles who don't know how to obey speed signs and/or are too busy on their phones while driving, then being harmed by a mountain lion. I would even go as far as to say that I will see a chupacabra before I ever come across a mountain lion (and yes I know, chupacabras are not even real--I think you get my point).

Offline Moonrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:48:39 AM »
I would not brush off the danger and buy into the notion that they will not attack because of the ooodles of natural food supply here because we are part of the food chain. We lived in northern CA and had them sitting on our roofs watching us bbq and they would wander down to the elementary school to hunt kindergartners as well. We never threw caution to the wind. They are unpredictable and if old and hungry will go after the loan jogger (as is the case of the woman killed in Cool CA) or the toddler playing in the back yard. Just proceed with caution.

Offline bobb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »
We lived in northern CA and had them sitting on our roofs watching us bbq and they would wander down to the elementary school to hunt kindergartners as well.

You're the reason I posted what I did. Create potentially baseless alarm on a questionable, unconfirmed sighting. You should always proceed with caution anywhere out this far in the desert where we live, but not because of mountain lions. Please show me documented cases where the cougars were determined to be found "hunting" kindergartners in northern Cali (were you maybe referring to the "cougar" type such as a Mary Kay Letourneau)?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:46:24 AM by bobb »

Offline surfrider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »
One other point: If they do confirm we have a resident mountain lion, I wouldn't change any of my habits outdoors. You should have a greater fear of being attacked by one of our fellow maniac residents vehicles who don't know how to obey speed signs and/or are too busy on their phones while driving, then being harmed by a mountain lion. I would even go as far as to say that I will see a chupacabra before I ever come across a mountain lion (and yes I know, chupacabras are not even real--I think you get my point).

LMAO!!!  :D

Home Home Home Home Home

Offline atchavez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
Trust me!  I could have gone my entire life without encountering and/or knowing their was ever a mountain lion within 100 miles of my children.  I literally had nightmares about if the last two nights -- I know over dramatic....but seriously!

I actually didnt' see it, my BF did, when he went to go take out the trash -- five minutes after my small children and dogs came inside the house.  The mountain lion was more scared of him then anything and jumped into the wash area that is behind our house.  He initially thought it was a bobcat -- which terrified me anyways -- but after we looked at pictures, videos, and determined it was as large as it was -- and was yellow/brown in color and not gray -- we came to the conclusion that the only thing it could be is a mountain lion.  Plus one of our neighbors said they saw one a few months ago.  We have seen javalinas and coyotes of course -- but a mountain lion!!! OMG!!! Too much to handle.

I have been terrified of scorpions since my kids was stung and ended up in the ER -- but now we have moved on to bigger issues....yikes!  Certainly my children will be 18 before they are allowed to go outside on their own now :).  I did notify the school too, because I know a lot of kids walk home by themselves.

Animal Control says that typically a mountain lion or most animals for that matter will not attack people -- but I think I will find some indoor activities just to be safe :).

Thanks to the officer for the advice....much appreciated.

Offline serne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the links and info.  It's good to know. 

Offline Peoria PD

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »
Thanks for posting the link as well. We live in the far reaches of Peoria with natural habitat all around us.  We have snakes, scorpion, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, sun spiders, tarantulas etc out here. I can list those since I have seen and dealt with them while working. I can add the black bear to the list now as well.   The link will help with what to do and expect with these types of critters. 

I educated my kids on all the types of critters they may encounter.  All the way down to the different types of spiders.   I am the critter catcher of the house lol. I can even claim catching a rattlesnake with my five iron (took a picture of that one).

Education is key. Most of the times they want nothing to do with us two legged folks but I have told all my kids what to do if they see them and shown them the actual critter or picture so they can recognize it.  If they can recognize it and the marking and know the dangers they are less likely to walk blindly into a situation.   

Ofc. Meeks

Offline Moonrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »
We lived in northern CA and had them sitting on our roofs watching us bbq and they would wander down to the elementary school to hunt kindergartners as well.

You're the reason I posted what I did. Create potentially baseless alarm on a questionable, unconfirmed sighting. You should always proceed with caution anywhere out this far in the desert where we live, but not because of mountain lions. Please show me documented cases where the cougars were determined to be found "hunting" kindergartners in northern Cali (were you maybe referring to the "cougar" type such as a Mary Kay Letourneau)?

Granted we had a bigger problem with them in the mountains, but I was just trying let people know that they are a concern, especially if they are down in populated neighborhoods. Might be an old sick one that is looking for fast food. No need to be so flipping nasty, but then maybe you get a charge out of it. Carry on. And we did have an old female that was stalking the kids until fish and game killed her first. But you are right about being threatend more by nutty driver here and also nasty, flaming posters.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:40:13 PM by Moonrocks »

Home Home Home Home Home

Offline thislady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2011, 02:58:56 PM »
I am wondering if this mountain lion has been in our backyard SEVERAL times.  Something LARGE is jumping the view fence and pooping on our rock waterfall.  I have had the poop in the same spot twice now in about a month.  It doesn't look like Coyote poop either.

We live off of Sunset and Nadine (across the street from the tennis courts) in Monterra.
Freaky.......must be at night or early morning I am guessing.  I wonder how many other times that it came in our yard and didn't potty!

Offline golfball

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »

He said a "Chupacabra..." LMAO!
Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King
Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. óMark Twain
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Proverbs 26:4

Home Home Home